Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2008

SoFoBoMo – Book Finished


I have finally finished the SoFoBoMo Book project, at least in PDF form. The composite image below shows what a published book might look like if I ever get around to publishing this photography book.


The creation of a photography book was quite enjoyable project to undertake, even though it did take up a fair bit of time to complete.

I decide to use “OpenOffice.org” as my publishing tool as I found MSword not able to completely remove the margins. Learning a new tool while undertaking a project does have its pitfalls, but luckily after a few hours I was able to get the hang of it. I did find that since the file was 170MB it did become a bit slow while doing editorial changes and a few times I found the image moved around.

A large PDF version of the book found can be accessed by this link (33BM with 75% jpeg compression) as the book was designed to 11.5x8.5 inches. This choice was not based and design criteria, but I selected one of the photography books I had that I though would be a good size and used these dimensions.

A smaller version with more compression can be accessed here . (15MB with 25% jpeg compression). Either way these are large files.


The B&W continuous pano images of the Quebec shoreline, which are along the later pages in the book, are 70,000x500 pxs. This started to become am editing problem in Photoshop and I had to eventually break it into 2 files

Image from book – Muted Ferns

The journey to produce the book took on 2 round trips of 300 kms to visit very good friends at their remote property that cover the rugged area north of Gananoque, Ontario which has lakes and beaver ponds on the land.

I also took 2 photo excursions along the shoreline of the Ottawa River on both the Ontario and Quebec side within the city limits of Ottawa. We are very fortunate that the city planners have made the river access public and have left some places as wilderness areas.

I took a week off work, as holidays, to work on the files and edit the book. I am not sure that I would have gotten it all completed otherwise.

Image from book - Flooded trees along shoreline of the Ottawa River


I would undertake another such project but if you are using nature as the backdrop then the month and season is critical to the theme and availability of images. Maybe next a food project where I can shoot indoors.

As the other bookmakers have stated it is an all consuming project and now that it is over I do feel a bit tied. I wish I had another week to really work on the book design elements, but there is a deadline that I need to meet.

Also there is standing about 10 deep, the outside and other chores that I have neglected as I pursed this passion blindly and they now want their place in the sun.

If its not too big to download, please let me know what you think. As a first book there is always room, maybe too much, for improvement.


Niels Henriksen

4 comments:

Anita Jesse said...

Congratulations on a great job! What a lovely tribute to two beautiful places. You have made it easy to see why you return to these spots for inspiration. I know it was consuming and exhausting, but it was worth it, wasn't it?

Unknown said...

Anita:
Thanks for your kind comments and support.

Yes it was worth it, even though a bit exhausting.

The strangest thing is that after I was finished and updated the blog, I was not quite sure what to do.

When you are so focused over a period of time, it is almost like withdrawal symptoms, but tomorrow is another day with new ideas.

I can't wait to see what your new project is about.

Niels

Anonymous said...

Contratulations on finishing your book. A job well done I am sure.

Anonymous said...

Neil,

Great work on your book! I originally wanted to email you; however I couldn't find your email address.

I would love to feature your work on Paxton Prints. Details can be found here:

http://www.paxtonprints.com/index.php?x=get_featured

Your style would be a wonderful edition to the other photographers who have been featured. Please give it some thought!

Best regards!

Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails